Friday 27 May 2011

My Insane Games Tournament Result

I was lucky enough to enter a local tournament last weekend at Insane Games in Bridgwater. It is the first I have been to in a long time and it made a change to actually enjoy meeting new people who had just entered the hobby and were still discovering everything that 40k has to offer. I didn't realise how much I had missed going to a proper club. I took the good old space wolves and with 1000pts packed into my case I headed to what I hoped was going to be a fun filled day.

Well I couldn't have been more pleased. There was a very relaxed mood to the whole thing and most of the people there were new(ish) to the game, or had been out of it for a while (like myself).

My first game was objectives against an eldar player who had an army made up of all the models he had so far. It was short and sweet with me winning 3 objectives to none after my long fangs killed most of his army with frag templates.

Game 2 was much more challenging as I faced a defiler, 2 squads of chaos marines, berzerkers in a rhino, abbadon and 2 obliterators! It was kill points and we were deploying on the short table edges so I was facing a long drive with my rhinos and lots of battle cannon and plasma cannon shots all the way. Luckily the game ended with a draw at 2 kill points each. Thankfully living lighting managed to kill his last obliterator and abbadon didn't turn up until turn 5.

Game 3 was against a very young marines player who I had a great time playing because it wasn't really much of a tournament game, but was more of a tutorial by me on how to get the most out of his army. At the end of it I had won but he was just as happy to have been given some helpful advice. The mission was basically assassinate the enemy HQ choice (and luckily this one wasn't taking Calgar).

Game 4 was a match up between the top 4 armies. We played a doubles game with my space wolves currently ranked 2nd and another chap with space wolves who was ranked 1st, taking on the two chaos players ranked 3rd and 4th. We massacred them... which was great as one of them was a real ass. He was a bully who was picking on some of the other younger lads there (he himself was only maybe 14), and he didn't like having to face a 22 year old and a 23 year old in a match up as he couldn't cheat his way to the top because we knew the rules so well.

Anyway he ended up 3rd and I stayed 2nd which was great considering I had a very average army compared to some of the stuff taken... I saw 2 abbadons and ragnar blackmane at 1000 points!

My list was -

1 rune priest, chooser of the slain, living lighting, stormcaller.

8 grey hunters, powerfist, meltagun, rhino.
1 wolf guard, combi melta, powerfist.

8 grey hunters, powerfist, meltagun rhino.
1 wolf guard, combi melta, powerfist.

9 grey hunters, powerfist, plasmagun, rhino.
1 wolf guard, frostblade.

6 long fangs, 3 missiles, 1 heavy bolter, 1 lascannon, razorback.

No comments:

Post a Comment