Sunday 1 May 2011

Rogue Trader... Missing In Action, Presumed Dead.

I was having a clean out earlier and came across a box of Rogue Trader Imperial Army figures still mint under my bed. Well I can't remember the last time I had them out for a quick looksee but I knew I just had to pop the lid and grip the sprue. After all these years (22+) they are still relatively crisp and dare I say it detailed. Now nobody is going to claim that they would win awards these days, but there is something deeply nostalgic about these old school kits that you don't get with the new stuff being produced.



They were fun and childlike, but the rules were so complicated that nobody but an adult could fully grasp everything that was going on. Things like turning arcs, robot controls and psychic powers spring to mind. Nowadays it seems the reverse is true - the models are very stylish and complicated with beautiful details that you need to be a Golden Daemon winner to be able to paint well, but the rules are so basic that most of the fun that kept me in the game is missing somehow.

Take a look at the artwork on the Imperial Army box - it's simple but comical and although I personally like the way the new artwork is leading Warhammer and 40k, I can't help but miss the good old days.




Bloomin great stuff.

I just hope that the next edition of 40k sees a change in the GW strategy, although I doubt it very much. Personally I am all for thunderwolves, dreadknights and Mephiston, as long as everyone gets lots of new shiny bits to play with and doesn't get excluded like some armies are now. It is a game and it is supposed to be stupid... I mean there are guys with extra eyes that see in to the warp and guide starships the size of planets through time and space, all the while there are daemons attacking the shields of the aformentioned ships trying to worm their way into the hearts and minds of the crew inside just so they can have some fun! It's all crazy so why not make it more so?

No comments:

Post a Comment